December 8, 2008

The Drones - Havilah

One of the albums of 2008.

Just some reasons to support my statement above:
- the most intense, consistent and powerful album i've heard this year
- the SONGS
- some of the greatest guitar riffs and melodies (eg The Minotaur, I Am The Supercargo)
- Gareth Liddiard's crazed Australian/Cockney-esque delivery
- they find a great balance between this more mature, produced sound, and a raw feel on the songs
- some softer acoustic numbers (Careful As You Go, and the jangly Your Acting's Like The End Of The World, a great closer) showing a lesser seen side of The Drones, pacing the album well with the epic songs
- a sense of gravity about the songs and the record on a whole and some of the issues they bring up

But i think most of all, what hits me about this album are the lyrics. Poetic at times, darkly funny too but most of the time they are just devastatingly written.

'So don't go casting no dispersions in the street,
because the half the world that starves,
will know the half you're in
does not deserve to eat.'

- Oh My

'You wanna make good with a cannibal?
You gotta show him how to freeze a priest'

- I Am The Supercargo

'I am in Rome, and I'm going to the games
I see the gulf and it's going to bore my name into the
Green green grass
The catwalks of the past
My head is like an oven
as I rest it in my hands'

- The Minotaur

The Drones - I Am The Supercargo /

The Minotaur video:

No comments: